Friday, June 02, 2006

rolling a drum...

Hush a wild violet, hush a band of gold
Hush you're in a story I heard somebody told
Tear the promise from my heart, tear my heart today
You have found another, oh baby I must go away
So hang down your head for sorrow, hang down your head for me
-tomwaits


This is george. I met george at the homeless shelter in prince albert. He lived there for about five months, was ever so queit and gentle and slowly we became acquainted.
He fell in love with a girl in PA and for a couple of months was so blissful, so in love, a smile that you could walk on. Then he had to go to manitoba for the summer, do some guiding, make some money. He showed up at the shelter a couple months later back from guiding, eager to see his love.
...but his love had found another, in his absence her heart had not grown fonder, her heart had wandered and found someone else.
George was devastated, he mourned this love for many weeks, he drowned himself in whatever liquor he could find, he started coming into the shelter drunk, but because he was still the gentle and quiet george l would let him in and he would quietly and sadly go to sleep.
My last few days at the shelter l remember sitting with george in the lobby just quietly and with few words visiting. I remeamber rolling a drum cigarette for him. Now yes l know how horrible cigarettes are but if there was anything good in them it was this, it was rolling george a drum, an act so personal and almost intimate. He shook my hand and said goodbye, he shook my hand with warmth and friendship. I hope George is back guiding in manitoba, l hope George is in love.

No comments: