Sunday, March 18, 2007

dying with love...




"In uncertainty l am certain that underneath their topmost layers of fraility
men want ot be good and want to be loved. Indeed most of their vices
are attempted short cuts to love. When a man comes to die, no matter
what his talents and influence and genius, if he dies unloved his life
must be a failure to him and his dying a cold horror. It seems to me
that if you or l must choose between two courses of thought or action,
we should remember our dying and try to live that our death
brings no pleasure to the world."

-john steinbeck (east of eden)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi ken,
your blog is so you. or so it seems to me. I took a weekend workshop with you many years ago at the college in parksville. I had a breakthrough that weekend from your encouragement and example. I remember one phrase you said "just keep building up the surface" and that has really stuck with me. I'm still working in photo based collage and had a solo show at TOSH last year. I appreciate your honesty, your humility, your generous sharing through writing and teaching.

kenflett said...

Thank you for your lovely words Barbra.
I looked at your website; http://www.sundquist.ca/art/
You have some very wonderful work.