Saturday, April 25, 2009

passionate punk...



“Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places

of the soul”
- Plato



music...it started in grade 7 for me, dancing with Nelly Kazenbroot to the
guess who's"american woman. At home l listened to 45's my parents had given
me, Johnny Horton,
"Battle of New Orleans", Elvis, a song about someone
kissing dina in the kitchen, and my favorite "Mr.Bojangles" by Jerry jeff Walker.


He shook his head and as he shook his head I heard someone ask, please
Mister Bojangles
Mister Bojangles
Mister Bojangles
,
dance.

l found a video of Sammy Davis Jr. singing Mr.Bojangles, . I had
pants like sammy davis jr., slightly flared at the bottom, l loved
those pants, probably why nelly wanted to dance with me. But
here, you might want to watch/listen to don mclean singing "Vincent"



It's the passion, the passion in the singing that thrills me, that
inspires me. In my studio l listen to Jacque Brel, Nina Simon, Tom waits,
and thrown in there l have Johnny Horton's Battle of New Orleans,
Mr. Bojangles, Blinded by the Light by Manfred Mann. They
remind me of my childhood, passionate punk. They make me feel
good, it's funny how we are shaped by our childhood.

"Friend, when l am dead
Make a cup of the clay l become.
and, if you remember me, d
rink from it.
Should your lips cling to the cup,
It will be but my earthy kiss."

-Mexican folk song

When l finished college, l wandered back to the island, my home,
then l wandered back to calgary, then back to the island. I was like
a gerbil circling his cage, never realizing that the door was open.
I was my own worst nightmare. Finally l decided to be still,
physically and emotionally. I started painting...
photographs can sometimes be perfect, blameless, especially to
the purists, but l wanted more from my photographs, l wanted
to feel what l had photographed.


So l took a large one and started painting over it, gluing bits and
pieces on it, like a crow dropping nuts on the road.
Caring but not caring. It was the start to my bricolage (early 90's)
I used and still do, old tent canvas, it is cheap, strong and the smell
reminds me of my childhood. I glue the silver prints on with
archival glue, l use to have to get it from a library supplier in ontario,
but now it's like water, you can get it anywhere.

Walter Skulsky

For years I fought with myself, (a good fight) about what l was
doing, photographs, paint, really is it art, is it fair. But really
who cares, along as you do it with passion, with love ,
with your childhood.




ninth ave...

Mickey McGrath at the colonel Belcher


halifax


colonel belcher veteran's hospital (Calgary)


spike and his dog butch

"lust and loneliness"

"This is a deep, permanent human condition
this need to be loved and to love"
-annie proulx

I'm in a group show, at the Evergreen Cultural Centre in
Coquitlam, bc. It's a persona show, each of us taking a different
persona. Mine...robinson crusoe
here is a very small detail of what l'm working on for it.



...
okay, bye
one last thing though, maybe check out this blog, she is a young
photographer, poet, hell she probably can sing and dance...
Sarah


25 comments:

Aleks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natasha Henderson said...

Wow. This was a really great bit of writing/imagery/sound. Thanks so much for putting it together for "us" (me). :) NH

kenflett said...

what a lovely lovely poem, thanks so much sandra.

Thanks for the visit Natasha :)

Studio Terrafemina said...

I am trying to get to my bed.
so, brief, here... best post yet. could be the canvas tent comment or the mexican folk song being the potter that one is a good one.
ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzz one more Day-With....
zzzzZ!

Every Photo Tells A Story said...

Ken: I'm glad to see you got out safely from under your house:) You know how I feel about your beautiful photographs and bricolage. You have such a unique style, and I'm glad you found your way out of the cage. And, there is NO question that what you create IS art. And, your passion and emotion for your subjects shines through so clearly.

Congratulations on your one man show!

And, give Cedar a big smooch for me:)

Love Nina Simon, and thanks for inspiring me to listen to TW, again. He's like fine wine, he's gotten better with age.

~Nancy

Stephen Dell'Aria said...

Tremendous photos. I went to college in Richmond Virgina and in what use to be a run down section of town stands a statue to Bill Robinson or Mr. Bojangles. His old film clips are really exceptional.

Your photo essays are simply excellent!!!

Manon said...

Beautiful work Ken! Wow! I'm with you ...... as long as you do it with passion and love.... that's what really matters! Your work delivers that and more!

kenflett said...

Thanks for staying up so late mickey. ya must be the clay song, anything to do with the earth and you potters... :)

Nancy, thank you for your lovely comment. I'll give cedar a little extra pinch today. oh and no it's not a solo show, l'm in with a group, everyone taking on a different persona., might be interesting. Yes tom waits, his last big cd has some exceptional stuff on it. althought my favorite is still kentucky ave and on the nickel.

Thanks so much Stephen, i didn't know about the statue.

CathM said...

Ken. You capture the truth... that it is our journeys and the experiences that we have along the way that influence our beings and shape us. There is a certain empowerment that comes through reflecting on our life’s journey thus far, and releasing ‘gratitude’ for all that has gone before (through the positives and negatives). Thank you for sharing so openly a bit about yourself.

Btw... I also enjoy Nina Simone and I just love the Proulx quote (she is one of my favourite short story writers). Also, really great artistry you weave through your life and this blog:)

kenflett said...

Thank you Manon., l enjoyed seeing your very full journals.

Catherine, thank you for your insightful comment. I enjoy your visit.

Renee said...

Ken;

You know what a voyeur of art I am and how I look all over the place for art and have tons of pieces that I have downloaded and don't even know who did them.

Well that above diatribe is just to tell you that I am so touched by peoples art over and over, but they have never touched me in the way that you do.

You commented 'For years I fought with myself, (a good fight) about what l was doing, photographs, paint, really is it art, is it fair. But really who cares, along as you do it with passion, with love , with your childhood.'

I think what you do is TRUTH.

No other pictures ever leave me crying. I never know why I'm crying; it isn't a conscious thing. It is I just look at what you do and I don't think, I just cry.

So I wanted you to know that I love what you do and whatever it is, to me it is always the truth.

I think that you are one of the most interesting and lovely people this earth has ever had the pleasure to have on it.

I think there is something in you that sees the truth and brings it to the rest of us.

I was blessed the day I ran into you.

Love Renee xoxox

Aleks said...

"This is a deep, permanent human condition
this need to be loved and to love"
this lovely Ken Flett condition!(blogger does get a great sense
of humor,dont you think Ken,
can you imagine my face whan I have put my eyes on the "shit" part,in my comment,
I'm still laughing,It was not me ,but blogggnomes,OK.Cheers )

The Jewel
There is this cave
In the air behind my body
That nobody is going to touch:
A cloister, a silence
Closing around a blossom of fire.
When I stand upright in the wind,
My bones turn to dark emeralds.

-- James Wright

Ciao,Sandra

kenflett said...

Dear Renee, you sit in the middle of canada, your long warm arms reaching so many people. Your comment is so lovely and sound, you make my day shine. Thank you.

Elaine Kerr said...

Lucky Nellie. All of what Renee said.... which proves, Ken... it probably wasn't the nice flared pants.

Pierre Raby said...

"...and started painting over it, gluing bits and
pieces on it, like a crow dropping nuts on the road." Wow...
I love crows, I love your stories and your mind blowing "painted photographs" inspired Ken!
A great week to you.

kenflett said...

Thank you Elaine., but really you should have seen those pants. :)


Pierre, thank you so much, always a pleasure to have you come by. Yes crows, they were swooping low this morning trying to steal cedar's fleshy bone. :)

Every Photo Tells A Story said...

I came back to look at more of your beautiful images, Mr. Flett.

And, to correct my previous comment about TW. It is I who have aged like fine wine, and so am able to appreciate his wonderful musical abilities(lol)

kenflett said...

You had it right the first time as well Nancy. :)
...and thsnks for coming back.

Chuck Dilmore said...

Fascinating site!
Incredible work. Love your travels.

peace~
Chuck

kenflett said...

Thank you Chuck.
I am glad you came by, as your blog is quite wonderful.

Kyra said...

Ken,
I've been following your blog for a long time - your sincerity and candour are ever so refreshing. And your work reflects an open heart. Thank you for sharing yourself in this way.
I thought I'd leave you with a quote:

"from mud to miracle
life's just the prettiest little burden isn't it?"
(Richard Buckner)

Kyra

kenflett said...

Thank you so much Kyra. You left me such nice words and a lovely quote, your generous. Your paintings are quite wonderful, some are amazing. I especially like surrender.
http://www.kyracrouzat.com/gallery.html

Kyra said...

Now it's my turn to thank you!
What a journey, being an artist.
Take care

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing such personal stories.... always inspiring me

kenflett said...

Kyra, your welcome. :) but nancy would have found you anyways.

Fucoid...thanks so much.